Followers

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Aprons

I'm sitting at my kitchen table drinking a cup of tea and listening to the birds and an occasional thump from the washing machine doing it's job.  I can remember the days when tea drinking wasn't an option while doing laundry ~ it was a hands-on job and everyone had a part to play.  Grandma Nan had a wringer washer and you lifted the soaking wet clothes from the wash tub and ran them through the wringer, sometimes more than once.   Many a button was broken going through the wringer - not to mention pinched fingers and the time I got my hair caught up in that contraption when I was trying to help.  Wash day has taken on an entirely new complexion, thank goodness!  I love modern conveniences as much as the next person, but I still love the smell of line-dried sheets and towels.

I have been reading that aprons are making a grand comeback as accessories.  Young women are wearing them over their rolled-up skinny jeans, with high heels completing the look!  Isn't that a cute idea?     

I'm drawn to old aprons and have a small collection.  The only time my Grammy Rose took her apron off was to go to town or to church or to bed.  When we gathered eggs she would pick up the hem of her apron and use it as a soft egg basket.  When she was chilly she would roll her apron around her arms and when I had tears that needed wiping, it was always the hem of her apron that did the job.  I'm glad to see aprons making a comeback.  I keep two old aprons hanging in the corner of my kitchen.  


 

The little green tin hanging on the far right hook was my Grandma Nan's lunch bucket she took to school every day.  The back side is quite distressed.


This organdy apron would have been worn by a hostess ~ definitely something Lucy Ricardo would have worn over one of her gorgeous dresses!


Of all my aprons this is my favorite.  There is a beautiful  border of Chicken Scratch embroidery above the hem and also on the pocket.  The photo does no justice to this lovely piece of handwork.


Another hostess apron in pink organdy with embroidered flowers.



This darling apron was cut on the bias and has a contoured waistband.  It's really a cutie!

I have a special friend coming early to spend the day, so I'm off to make a pot of coffee and slice a loaf of zucchini bread.  I serve this with soft cream cheese with a small can of drained crushed pineapple stirred in....YUM! 

Until tomorrow I wish you and yours a day of Peace & Plenty!

Hugs, Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment