Saturday, August 15, 2015


The Curved Log Cabin I made for our neighbors for Christmas is finally done.  It took a few days for me to hand hem the binding but I enjoy the process so much it was worth it.

I wanted to make a Christmas quilt that wasn't totally Ho-Ho-Ho.  The fabric I chose is the luscious Incarnadine line by Robyn Pandolph.  The cream fabric is French Vanilla by RJR.  I seem to have a knack for falling in love with discontinued fabrics, but after a bit of internet searching I was able to come up with enough fabric to make two quilts.  Yes, I will be making another one for us.  The machine stippling was done by my LAQer Reggie, who always does wonderful work.

The Curved Log Cabin pattern is a basic log cabin with half of the strips 2.5" (prints) and the other half 1.5" (cream).  This particular pattern was built on the center square adding strips and trimming them as I went along.  I prefer this to having to cut stacks of pre-measured strips.  As long as the seams are a consistent 1/4" everything works out well. 

This is where I have to say something about the fabulous Stripology ruler I bought recently.  If you cut a lot of strips for your quilts I can't recommend this tool enough.  It's a little on the pricey side ($50) but worth every cent.  Yesterday I cut three yards of fabric into perfect 1.5" strips in 20 minutes without measuring anything!  The bonus for me is that the edges are clean cut rather than pinked, which I really prefer for accuracy. 

It feels odd having a Christmas quilt done in August but I prefer this to burning the midnight oil the night before the gift is to be given, which I've done so many times in the past. 

Wishing everyone a sweet weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment