Followers

Sunday, October 21, 2012

HUNTING WIDOW



This is the time of year when I become a hunting widow for short spurts of time ~ sometimes two or three days and sometimes a week.  For me this time is all about sewing, not cooking, staying in my jammies all day and catching up with my girlfriends over lunch.  Now that we have a wonderful tea room in town we have a lovely little getaway spot for great food and a walk through the antique mall. 

So far this year Hubby hasn't gone hunting, but I can feel it in the air.  He's beginning to stockpile hunting gear in the garage and making lists of what to take.  He loads the 4-wheeler and all his gear on our long trailer and looks like he's running away from home! 

Molly is good company when Hubby's gone.  She has a pile of afghans in my sewing room and she takes up residence when I sew.  I love to sew and hear her soft snoring in the background.  This is the time that I allow her to sleep with me and she never forgets from year to year. 

The work at our old house continues.  I am trying to get the painting done before the weather turns cold.  Paint just doesn't want to spread on cold walls.  Hubby put the washer and dryer back in their place yesterday after replacing the wall and all the plumbing.  It's been a real ordeal for him. 

Old houses know when they aren't being lived in and they begin to disintegrate from lack of use.  Houses need people as much as people need houses.  I love old houses with their beautiful woodwork and charm ~~ and let's not forget their quirks!  My MIL lives in an old farmhouse and the only electrical outlet in her kitchen is in the floor.  She's afraid of extension cords so she makes her toast on the floor.  The only outlet in her bathroom is inside the medicine cabinet!  Talk about quirks!! 

I will make meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and homemade rolls for dinner today.  If all goes well today I plan to make a Dutch Apple pie.   Stop by if you're in our neck of the woods.

I wish you Peace & Plenty until we meet again.....Barb



  

1 comment:

  1. Can I stop by even if I'm still in my pajamas? Sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete