Followers

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sunday School Quilt

As a young child I lived in Doniphan, Missouri with my Grandparents (Nan and Bob) and Grammy Rose (Nan's mother and my great grandmother).  Daddy was fighting in the Korean War and Mom had to work in the city.  The little house in Doniphan, which is still there today, holds so many wonderful memories for me.  Those were the days of playing on my swing on the old oak tree, eating watermelon on the front porch, making mud pies in the red clay soil,  cutting out paper dolls, learning to sew and basking in the unconditional love of my family. 

Grammy Rose was ever watchful of everyone's soul and if she had anything to do with it no member of her family was going to Hell.  In light of her passion we never missed a church service, Sunday school, revival, baptism or church supper.  We often walked to church, which meant a long hike up the big hill to the town square and beyond to the little church.  When we went to an evening service we would pull my red wagon along just in case I was too sleepy for the long walk home. 

At the age of 5 Grammy taught me to embroider.  In an effort to keep my mind on the Scriptures she came up with the idea of having me embroider Bible names and verses onto cotton blocks, which she then turned into a quilt for my bed. 


This is a scrappy quilt made from old clothes and feed sacks.  It's hand pieced and hand quilted.  Grammy wrote out my choice of words, but  "Prepare To Meet Thy God" must have been her choice! 






This quilt is one of my most treasured family quilts.  It's so simple and yet so full of the wonderful memories my family gave to me as a young girl.  The 'Daddy' block is my favorite!

Shortly before Grandma Nan passed away I took her back to Doniphan and we found the little house.  We were pleasantly surprised that the house appears to be in great condition and the present owners have planted lovely flowers and shrubs around the front porch where we spent so much of our time.

Wishing you a day filled with good memories and Peace & Plenty!

2 comments:

  1. O. M. Goodness! What an absolute treasure! I am in awe here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just doesn't get much better than small-town America, does it? I LOVE your quilt - and the memories stitched inside are so special.

    ReplyDelete