Followers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Taking The Plunge!

After much looking, reading, comparing and debating I finally took the plunge this week and ordered a new sewing machine.  It's not that I don't have a perfectly good machine, but I want one that does everything my current machine does plus embroidery.

This will be the 6th brand new machine I've bought.  My first one was a Kenmore that was bought at Sears on the EZ Payment Plan.  Buying this machine on credit made me feel like an adult.  It also made buttonholes and that was a big deal to me then because I was sewing primarily garments for myself and my infant daughter.  Later in life I bought a portable machine (White) for almost nothing at a damaged freight sale.  This machine served me well for many years.  Then came the wonderful world of computerized machines!  I bought one of the first computerized Singer machines, the Athena.  I was in hog heaven for several years with Athena, but then she began spending more time at the repair shop than at home and it was time for a change.  I said goodbye to Athena and traded her in on a New Home (Janome) Memory Craft 4000, which I have been using for about 20 years with never a problem.  I will keep this machine as backup ~ just in case!   Sewing machines have to prove themselves to me over a period of time.   

So what kind of machine did I order?  I bought a Janome MC9500, which is a sewing/embroidery machine.  I have heard nothing but good reports about this machine.  I expect there will be a bit of a learning curve with the embroidery feature, but it will be so nice if I can make nice labels for my quilts.  Next Tuesday it is supposed to be delivered to my door via UPS. 

It's a big decision when you decide to buy a good quality sewing machine.  The high-end machines cost $6,000+ and I find that rather staggering.  Some of the dealers won't even list their prices online and you must make a personal appearance at one of their distributors for the price.  No doubt this is so they can get the smelling salts ready to revive you after you hear the price!  For the first time ever I took my age into consideration when buying a machine.  If I was 20 years younger I may have caved in and bought the Janome 12000 or some other upper echelon machine.  For me, for now, I feel the right machine is heading my way. 

Truthfully, beautiful quilts can be made with the simplest of machines.  For years I sewed all my quilts on a Singer Featherweight machine.  These machines only sew a straight stitch, but it's the most perfect stitch you have ever sewn.  It's nice to have a few decorative stitches, especially a zigzag, blanket stitch and feather stitch.  Other than that it's the old want/need conundrum ~ what I actually need is one thing, but what I want is something entirely different! 

For now I'm plugging along making 26 Halloween blocks for a swap at Missouri Star.  Until next time I wish you straight stitches and a day filled with Peace & Plenty! 



No comments:

Post a Comment