Followers

Monday, January 14, 2013

ICY MONDAY



Today is the coldest day of the winter so far.  It's almost noon and our temperature is still in the teens.  I just made a trip to retrieve our mail and it was hit and miss on our icy gravel road.  Luckily I made it back home safe and sound.  It would have ben a real shame to slide off the road with only junk mail in the box waiting for me!

This is the time of the year when everyone everywhere seems to have the 'bug'.  Whether they are sneezing, blowing or coughing, everyone seems to have something or are getting over it.  I try to limit my exposure to the public at large at this time of year, but today we have to take Hubby to the doctor for a scan, because of his 'bug' he's had for far too long!  Whoever invented Kleenex tissues did a good thing!  I am taking along a new quilting magazine to keep my nose in while I'm waiting.  Without fail I always end up with someones child on my lap everywhere I go and today will be no exception.  Who can say no to a child, even one with a drippy nose and cough.  My daughter tells me this happens because I exude a grandma vibe! 

This is definitely the season for big pots of hot soup and if they are homemade so much the better!  Lately I've been loving homemade potato soup.  Here's my recipe:

1 bag (32 ounces) frozen southern style hash browns (cubes), semi defrosted (about 6 cups of diced fresh potatoes can be used instead)
1 cup chopped onion
I medium carrot, grated
1 cup minced celery, with a little bit of leaves if you have them
3 cups water
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
pepper to taste
3 cups whole milk or half & half, or a mixture of both.  Even 2% milk works!

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot and add the minced celery and cook about 5 minutes.  Add onion, carrot, potatoes and salt and pepper and cook until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).  Add milk or cream and cook until slightly thickened over low heat.  Puree about half of the soup using a blender (regular or immersion type).  NOTE:  The frozen hash browns I used are just cubes of potatoes, no peppers or seasonings).

Serve with crisp bacon crumbles and shredded cheese if desired.  YUM!

This sounds almost good enough to eat, so I am heading for the kitchen to make us a batch!  I always keep the frozen potatoes on hand just for this recipe.

Stay warm, stay well, and eat lots of soup! 

Until next time I wish your bushels of Peace & Plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment