Followers

Sunday, April 28, 2013

BLUEBERRY SUNDAY


We have yet another dark, rainy day...perfect for blueberry muffins hot from the oven.  I always have a hoard of berries in the freezer just for times like this. 



These are perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.

Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins:

2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
1 Tbs lemon zest (optional)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (less also works)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
Sugar for muffin tops

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.  In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg or lemon zest. 

In a small bowl beat eggs, milk and melted butter with a fork and add to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.  Carefully stir in the blueberries and lemon zest (if using). 

Fill greased muffin tin cups (I use cupcake papers) 2/3 full and sprinkle the tops with sugar. 

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Optional:  Rather than sprinkle muffins tops with sugar before baking, after they are done and partially cooled, dip the tops into melted butter and roll in sugar. 

Note:  I love lemon zest with blueberries.  If I'm using the zest I omit the nutmeg .  A tablespoon is perfect for lifting your muffins out of the muffin tin. 

I use this recipe for making fresh raspberry muffins also. Increase the sugar to 1 cup and use 2 Tbs lemon zest. 

There is normally a bumper crop of blueberries in Missouri every year in July.  I spend a few hours picking berries at a local berry farm and bring them home and freeze what's left of them after making a blueberry pie and some jam.  Blueberries are best frozen dry and unsweetened in plastic containers. This way you can measure out the exact amount you want.  Old timers used to freeze theirs in shoe boxes with rubber bands to secure the lids. 

I wish you could smell our house right now....it's heaven!!  I'm off to snatch another muffin ~~ they're going fast.

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday.



1 comment:

  1. I wish too that I could smell your house and nip in the kitchen for a muffin . I don't care for muffins with loads of sweet stuff piled on top. Blueberries will do me fine

    ReplyDelete