Followers

Friday, October 11, 2013

FINISHES AND NEW BEGINNINGS


Fall is gradually moving into our corner of the Ozarks and Summer is coming to an end.  The yellow butterflies that signal the end of Summer are everywhere right now and Winter is just around the corner.  We prepared for this by having our propane tank filled with gas this week.  This is the time of year when heating and a/c aren't necessary.  Opening the windows to let in the Fall air is so nice.

Yesterday was my final dental appointment ~ an ordeal that has been ongoing since June.  It feels so good to be done.

Earlier this week my daughter called to tell us that after a family meeting they decided that Dottie & Olive should live with us permanently.  We love this and feel blessed to have these little black girls share their lives with us.  Sweet Olive is on the left and Miss Dottie is on the right.  Olive is petite for an adult Scottie.  She is my constant companion ~ Dottie is more independent but quite loving and fun. 


Earlier this week I finished up my project for Halloween ~ a pumpkin tote bag I call Happy Jack.





I had seen a pumpkin like this on the cover of the Fall issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.  I used strips of orange batiks and Halloween prints to make a large oblong Log Cabin block.  I did a little decorative stitching along the seams of the pumpkin body.  The corners were rounded by adding half-square triangles and then borders were added.  The face and stem are fused and then stitched.  Originally I thought this would be a table runner, but after playing around with ideas I thought it would be cuter as a tote.  This is way too large to use as a purse tote, but I thought I could store our Halloween quilt in it during the off season.  For now it hangs on the back of a kitchen chair.  I embroidered a spider and web on the back.  This was an afterthought.  I could have done something larger and more interesting if I had thought of it before constructing the bag. 

Yesterday I bought everything I need to make a large batch of applesauce.  More on that wonderful task later. 

I hope you are enjoying your Fall and looking forward to the slower days of Winter.  For us Winter means the end of mowing and other outdoor chores.  A good rest is much needed this year.

Wishing you a day of Peace & Plenty.....Barb






1 comment:

  1. I love your Halloween bag , I must get mine out . I made it 2 years ago

    ReplyDelete