Followers

Sunday, April 6, 2014

SUNNY SUNDAY

We are taking advantage of a sunny Sunday to clean up around the yard a bit and burn some dead limbs and grasses.  The ground is far too wet to run over it with a tractor or mower. 

The Bradford pear trees that line the front of our yard next to the road are ready to pop into white blossoms.  Daffodils all over town wave to me as I drive past.  The forsythias have come and gone to green leaves already and the pink phlox are beginning to bloom.  It will soon be time to plant flowers in the oak barrels and old laundry tub in front of the garage.  We are going to try to use some self control this year buying flowers and tomato plants.  We just want a little color and a few slicing tomatoes for BLT's. 

Last year we grew enough tomatoes to feed the whole county!  We had such a large harvest I made a quilt to commemorate it.
I had everything for this little quilt in my stash.  I snowballed some scrappy red squares (and two green) with the background fabric and cut some leaves and stems and fused and stitched them on and before long it was a quilt.  I left two tomatoes green to represent the growth process.  This quilt is draped over the back of a kitchen chair in the summer.  This was a fun and quick quilt to make.  All quilts don't have to be heirloom masterpieces, in my opinion.  That's a good thing because very few of mine would fall into that lofty category!


   
I would like to plant a zucchini plant or two for our beloved zucchini bread that we love to eat all winter.  I normally bake about 18 loaves and give a few to the neighbors for their freezers and the remainder goes into ours.  Last year I used macadamia nuts and pineapple in the bread and it was such a nice touch I think I'll do it again this year.  If our DD comes for a visit this year she will go home with a cooler filled with Mom's homemade applesauce and zucchini bread. 

Dottie and Olive are intrigued by everything coming to life again.  This will be their first country spring.  Just wait until the box turtles and baby bunnies invade our yard!  Olive is intrigued by everything that moves so this will be a fun time for her.  Dottie likes to wait for the water hose and water toys of summer.  She loves to take the end of the hose in her mouth with the water on and run all over the yard with it.  The wetter she gets the happier she is.  This is the same Scottie dog who doesn't like to set a foot on wet grass the rest of the year!  Everything has to be her idea.  Sweet Olive loves to frolick and have fun outdoors but she wants nothing whatsoever to do with water or hoses.   

I promised Hubby I would give him a hand in the yard so I'm off to see what I can do to help.  I hope you are having a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment