Followers

Monday, August 5, 2013

BIKINI BREAD



After a gray rainy weekend we have a gray rainy Monday with several more days of the same predicted.  I normally love rainy weather but Dottie and Olive almost refuse to go outdoors when everything is wet.  They don't like their skirts to get wet and I understand that.  This morning I took each dog out under the cover of a large golf umbrella.  Olive thought it was great fun ~ Dottie not so much.  I think she misses sunny California.

I wish I could say I got loads of sewing done this weekend, but these storms are electrical and I don't like to risk having my machine knocked out of commission.  So instead here is what I did ~~





I finally got serious and baked four more loaves of zucchini bread.  It was re-named 'Bikini Bread' by my daughter when she was 3 and bikini bread it is! We enjoy this so much that I make several loaves for the freezer and we pull them out throughout the winter.  I have to say they are as tasty out of the freezer as they are freshly baked.  Here's my recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 325 F.  Grease and flour two loaf pans.

Sift together 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

In a large bowl beat 3 large eggs with a fork and add 2 teaspoons vanilla.  Stir in 2 cups granulated sugar and mix well.  Add 1 cup vegetable oil and stir until well combined (I mix this totally by hand but you can use a mixer if you choose). 
Stir in 2 cups shredded zucchini and mix.  Stir in the dry ingredients in thirds and mix well.  Add 1 cup chopped pecans and a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple that has been well drained. 

Pour into pans and bake for 55-60 minutes.  This bread comes out of the pan better right out of the oven.  If you allow it to cool before removing it from the pan the bottom may stick.

I serve this with a spread of 8 ounces soft cream cheese mixed with 1 Tablespoons powdered sugar and a small can of drained crushed pineapple mixed together. 

If you will be freezing your bread, let it cool completely.  Wrap the loaf in a layer of waxed paper and then a layer of foil.  Make sure it is sealed well.  Then put it into a Ziploc bag and freeze. 

The zucchini is coming in faster than I can use it and give it away.  Tonight I will make some corn and zucchini fritters to go with our dinner. 

Our storm is worsening, so until next time I wish you bushels of Peace & Plenty!






No comments:

Post a Comment