Followers

Friday, June 1, 2012

Pinnies


I belong to a wonderful forum at the Missouri Star Quilt Company and have enjoyed getting to know several of the members over the past year.  If you are looking for a place to share your quilts or learn to quilt, MSQC is the place to be.  One very special friend at the forum, Blondie, has started a pin cushion (pinnie) exchange recently, so I've been pondering the role of pinnies in my life. 

Normally I have one 'working' pincushion at my sewing machine and another at the ironing board.  Blondie says she has pinnies in every room of her home.  After looking at a few of the gorgeous pinnie creations on the Internet I can see why they would be considered accessories for the sewing room and home.  I've seen them made on crystal candle holders, wine glasses, bone china cups, tin cans and styrofoam cups!

I have two very special pinnies that belonged to Grammy Rose and Grandma Nan.   The lovely cushion below was crocheted by Grammy Rose.  Originally it was laced together with white ribbon in a fancy arrangement I've never been able to duplicate.  I think it must have been pulled through with a crochet hook and twisted in some manner.  A few years back I had to take this pinnie apart and make it a new inner cushion.  Since I couldn't do the ribbon work that held it together originally, I crocheted it together and wove ribbon through the openings on top.   It's lovely but it pales in comparison to what it was in its youth!

 


The Kewpie Doll pinnie below belonged to my Grandma Nan.  I think this one is too cute for words!  Could you stick pins in this little darling ~ I can't.



The lovely pinnie below is my working pinnie that I keep at the sewing machine.  It was a gift from a dear friend.  The tiny needle case on the top is a work of art in itself.  It measures 1 1/2 inches square!  I pinned this little gem to the top of my pinnie so I wouldn't lose it.  This beauty came with the pinnie.



The patriotic pinnie below is the one I keep at the ironing board.  It's filled with steel wool to keep my pins sharp.  This was also a gift from a special friend. 



Pinnies seem to have been elevated to accessory status....and rightfully so!!

Wishing you a wonderful day!





No comments:

Post a Comment